Merry Christmas to all of you celebrating Christmas tomorrow. To all of you who may not be celebrating Christmas. I hope your Wednesday is hopeful and bright and that if you celebrate any holidays this season that they are wonderful. Since tomorrow is Christmas, the topic for today’s 20 Questions is, unsurprisingly enough, “Christmas.”
Before we go any further. Let’s get the boring old tiresome questions out f the way. I have received many best gifts and the worst gift was from my Grandmother in Florida who really wanted me to be a girl. The tradition on Christmas is that the family opens Santa gifts (Santa is still blessedly real in our household, probably for the last year :-( —boooooo!) and empties stockings. Then I make cinnamon rolls for breakfast (which will be interesting this year with the gluten thing). After breakfast Little Man and Q play the part of Santa’s Elves and pass out the presents. Then we sit and open one gift each in turn. It then becomes snack time. Following the snack the Wife and her mom start up with Christmas dinner prep for a standing rib roast, twice baked potatoes, and a vegetable of some kind. That is the end to the structure. From there the house descends into chaos and napping.
Thanks this week go to Mike, Lord Pithy, Nadolny, Dr B-Dawg, Wood, Lsig, and Newbold. Enough of this claptrap. On to the questions!
1. Eggnog: Yes or no? Yes, definitely the non-alcoholic kind as a kid. Barber’s Egg Nog was that bomb. I have not been able to find anything comparable since leaving Alabama so many years ago. I cannot imagine that adding rum to it would make it better, but I am not much for the alcohol.
2. Do you now ~ask~ for socks and underwear for Christmas, or are you still holding out for toys and major electronics? More cookware then socks and underwear, and I gave up on electronics years ago.
3. Every year I think we should just promise each other great Christmas presents and go spend all that money on awesome boxing day/week/season sales, but that never happens because WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD PUT UP WITH THAT MADNESS. Discuss… Oh, Boxing Day, you non-US shopping time. Your Boxing Day is analogous to our Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving here. Ours seems to make a bit more sense scheduling-wise… being before Christmas and all.
4. Which was your fantasy holiday getaway as a child, Christmas in Eternia, or Life Day on Kashyyyk? Has your answer to #2 changed now that you’re an “adult?” I missed the Star Wars Christmas Special that only happened once, so I would have to say that I am leaning towards the joint She-Ra/He-Man Christmas in Eternia. It does not hold up.
5. Say you were given the office of Santa for 1 hour. To whom would you deliver what? Now, say you were given the office of the Doctor for that same hour, who/what would be the villain of your Christmas episode? Hmmm… As Santa, I would bring gifts to kids whose parents couldn’t get them anything. (awwww, he has a heart… not really, but I couldn’t think of anything else). As The Doctor I would stay the fuck away from that “Are You My Mommy” shit. That stuff was terrifying. I would probably have a run in with mannequin Santas for my Doctor Who Christmas Special… I would, of course have to regenerate at the end of the episode where I would say, “Well, That’s that” as my last words and then turn into the next doctor who would happen to be Emma Thompson. Boom! and scene!